Summary of the position
The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will be responsible for monitoring and evaluation activities of the Education Innovation Challenge project undertaken by National Youth Awareness Forum Sierra Leone, measuring impact of programming and helping to develop continuous improvement in programme development and implementation. He/She should have the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
JOB TITLE: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Location: Freetown with frequent travel to the project areas
Report to: Executive Director
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitoring – Supports the design and implementation of a monitoring framework and information system to track deliverables against EIC project results (goals, objectives, outcomes, outputs) and indicators.
- Evaluation – supports analysis of data collected on EIC project activity indicators defined in the project monitoring framework as well as facilitating assessment of progress. He/she will employ participatory ways of assessing the key modalities of the projects and inform management on areas of improvement.
- Reporting – Provides regularly and timely update and reports on project impact and processes against indicators, project goals and objectives. He/she will contribute to accessing data in Kobo Collect for analysis and produce data analysis reports with clear observations on data quality and actionable recommendations.
- Capacity building – will support consortium partner M&E staff in providing required capacity strengthening including but not limited to data analysis, producing data analysis reports, checking for quality in monitoring data and compiling case studies/ most significant change stories,
- Knowledge sharing – Ensures analysis and documentation of best practices and lessons learned and support the project team with reflection and learning sessions.
- Field visit – The role will be required to make field visits for purposes outlined above as well as conduct monitoring spot checks and participate in joint monitoring with MBSSE (Ministry of Basic and Senior Secondary Education) officials
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
Criteria for the role
Strong analytical skills or training,
Good problem-solving skills and ability to think creatively, identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems, and yet be flexible.
Good reporting skills
Ability to develop sources for data collection, and other key M&E sources for that purpose.
Observing deadlines and achieving results;
Effectively handles discussions with a focus on both groups and individuals to enrich participants’ understanding of particular subjects or situations, understands process and can diagnose group needs and intervenes accordingly
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
University degree or its equivalent (from a recognized institution) in Social Sciences, Economics, Development, Statistics, Mathematics, Evaluation or other fields related to education.
Experience in monitoring and evaluation with special reference to education
Knowledge of the current education issues/activities and systems
Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook, SPSS.
Remains calm and positive under pressure and in difficult situations
Must have experience in data processing or analysis and computer experience,
Significant direct experience in survey design and implementation
Experience in M&E designs, tools and methodologies
Experience in qualitative and quantitative research designs and analysis.
S/he should be able to communicate to a fairly diverse audience